ARTICLES ON GARCINIA INDICA
Organic facts – Health Benefits of Garcinia indica
Outside Magazine – The superfruit that could help you recover faster
Bless their hearts mom – Review – Sant is YOUR Means to a Healthier You, and is Pretty Tasty Too!
A Sweat Life – The post workout fruit infusion drink
SCIENTIFIC PAPERS ON GARCINIA INDICA
“A wonder berry that has a pleasant, tangy-sweet taste and a myriad of health benefits… Kokam is loaded with B-complex vitamins, and minerals like potassium, manganese and magnesium, which help control heart rate and blood pressure, offering protection against stroke and coronary heart diseases. This versatile super fruit has long been used to combat digestive problems such as indigestion, flatulence, acidity and constipation. Kokam fruit possess useful anti-oxidant, chelating, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, cardio-protective and anti-ulcer activities…. Kokam fruit helps in reducing body weight by virtue of its anorectic property, appetite suppressant activity and cholesterol lowering effect.”
2. US National Library of Medicine – National Institutes of Health, “Antibacterial Activity of Polyphenols of Garcinia Indica.” Read more here.
Garcinia indica “is a remedy for dysentery and diarrhea, tumors, heart complaints, stomach acidity and liver disorders. Fruit rind extracts have been shown antifungal and antioxidant properties. Garcinol, the compound isolated from fruit rind exerts anti-inflammatory effects and is a neuro-protectant. Hydroxycitric acid from leaves and fruit rind is anti-obesity and anti cholesterol drug.
3. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis Letters, “Garcinia: An Awesome Superfruit for Healthcare.” This study is on Garcinia Cambogia, but the focus is on HCA, which is present in Garcinia indica. Read more here.
“The herb is known to lower lipid levels and assists in overall weight loss….HCA is found to be the first natural weight loss, compound without adversely affecting the CNS. This shows that Garcinia is not a stimulant, that it will not interfere with sleep and it will not cause changes in heart rate or blood pressure. Hence HCA is known as a safe fat fighting agent.”
4. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, “Antiulcer activity of Garcinia indica linn fruit rinds”
“Garcinia indica, a medicinal plant mentioned in Ayurveda has been used for treatment of liver disorders, dysentery, sunstroke, cancer and heart diseases…. Garcinia indica exhibited significant antiulcer activity… The fruits of Garcinia indica Linn contain anthocyanin, flavonoids, polyphenols, hydroxycitric acid, malic acid, .carbohydrates, ascorbic acid and phenolic compounds, which can be considered responsible for the antiulcer activity”
5. Journal of Hematology & Oncology, “Emerging role of Garcinol, the antioxidant chalcone from Garcinia indica Choisy and its synthetic analogs.” Read more here.
“The chalcone garcinol is a potent antioxidant and anti-cancer agent among its many other biological effects.”
6. International Journal of Pharmacy and Life Sciences – Protective effect of Garcinia indica.
“It is an excellent source of natural phytonutrients such as vitamins C and E, polyphenols, Anthocyanins (Cyanidin-3-sambubioside, Cyanidin-3- glucoside), Fatty Acids (palmitic, stearic, oleic, linoleic acid), Hydroxycitric acid (HCA), Garcinol which have been confirmed by epidemiological studies to reduce the risk of cancer and gastrointestinal diseases when taken in adequate amounts.”
7. American Chemical Society, “Garcinol from Garcinia indica: Chemistry and Health Beneficial Effects” Read more here.
“Garcinol has generated considerable research interests in recent years because of its remedial qualities against many human diseases and ailments, mostly attributed to its potent antioxidant capabilities. There are increasing scientific evidences which demonstrate the anti-tumorigenic effectiveness of garcinol.”
8. Jain University, “Antimicrobial and Cytotoxic Effects of Garcinia Indica Fruit Rind Extract”
Garcinia indica “is a rich source of bioactive molecules including xanthones, flavonoids, benzophenones, lactones and phenolic acids…. The G. indica extract has both antifungal and antibacterial properties.”
9. US National Library of Medicine – National Institutes of Health, “Aqueous Extract of Garcinia Indica Choisy Restores Glutathione in Type 2 Diabetic Rats.” Read more here.
“Most of the currently available anti-diabetic therapies reduce the fasting blood glucose but have a little impact on postprandial hyperglycemia. …Aqueous extract of G. indica had a significant (P<0.001) effect on both fasting and postprandial hyperglycemia”